Search Harris County    
Information for:Defendants  |   for Plaintiffs   |   for Attorneys  |   for Jurors  |   for Crime Victims  |   for Educators  


Failure to Attend School
Failure to Pay the Fine or to Comply with the Additional Orders Imposed in the Judgment

A defendant who fails to satisfy the fine and court costs as directed by the court may be held in contempt or if the defendant is under 17 years of age, may be referred to the Harris County Juvenile Courts for violating the court's Orders. A defendant held in contempt may be punished by either or both of the following:

1) A fine not to exceed $500.00;

2) The suspension of the defendant's driver's license until the defendant fully complies with the Orders of the court, or the denial of the issuance of a driver's license to the defendant until the defendant fully complies with the Orders of the court.

If a defendant fails to satisfy the judgment for fine and costs as required by the court, the court may issue a capias pro fine ordering the arrest of the defendant to be brought before the court. A capias pro fine may issue at the time the defendant is 17 years of age or older.

More Information about Failure to Attend School Cases

General Information

This information is furnished to you to provide basic information relative to the law governing procedures for Failure to Attend School and Parent Contributing to Failure to Attend School cases in the Harris County Justice Courts.

The Harris County Justices of the Peace and the Clerks of the Harris County Justice Courts are not allowed to give legal advice. You are urged to review the applicable laws and to consult an attorney of your choice for further information or answers to specific legal questions.

You have the right to a trial by a jury and to be represented by an attorney of your choice, or to represent yourself.

Disclaimer: The law is constantly changing and there may be times when the information on this web site will not be current. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This information is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney.