Search Harris County    
Information for:Defendants  |   for Plaintiffs   |   for Attorneys  |   for Jurors  |   for Crime Victims  |   for Educators  


Failure to Attend School
New Trial and Appeal

New Trial

A motion for new trial must be made within five (5) days after the rendition of the judgment. A motion for new trial cannot be made afterward.

The judge has ten (10) days after the date the judgment was entered within which to grant a new trial. If a motion for new trial is not granted before the eleventh (11th) day after the date the judgment was entered, the motion for new trial is considered denied. Texas Code of Crim. Proc. art. 45.037 and art. 45.038


An appeal from a judgment of a Harris County Justice Court is heard by a Harris County Criminal Court at Law.

An appeal is perfected by filing an Appeal Bond in the amount of two (2) times the amount of the fine and costs. The bond is filed with the justice court in which the case was filed, and must be filed not later than the tenth (10th) day after the date the judgment was entered.

When the appeal bond has been timely filed, all proceedings in the Justice Court will cease. Texas Code of Crim. Proc. art. 45.0425

More Information about Failure to Attend School Cases

General Information

This information is furnished to you to provide basic information relative to the law governing procedures for Failure to Attend School and Parent Contributing to Failure to Attend School cases in the Harris County Justice Courts.

The Harris County Justices of the Peace and the Clerks of the Harris County Justice Courts are not allowed to give legal advice. You are urged to review the applicable laws and to consult an attorney of your choice for further information or answers to specific legal questions.

You have the right to a trial by a jury and to be represented by an attorney of your choice, or to represent yourself.

Disclaimer: The law is constantly changing and there may be times when the information on this web site will not be current. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This information is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney.